Friday, July 31, 2009

A little reflection

As my sabbatical is coming to an end, a little reflection is in order. This was a rewarding year for me as it has given me new perspectives on my personal and professional lives.

On the home front, the bond in our family got stronger as we braved this new environment and culture together. I traded my business travels in past years with quality family time. Perhaps I have taken a step or two back in climbing the career ladder, but I know I won't regret not having spent more time to watch the kids grow and play when I have a reflective moment in the future. We cramped ourselves into a small flat; not only did the spatial constraint bring us closer physically, but closer spiritually as well. In my professional life, I collaborated with some of the best neutrino physicists this year. It was an exhilarating experience to work in a different research culture.

Without the assistance from the scientists and support staff at the research center and its guesthouse, this year-long sojourn would not have been possible. Our family is forever grateful for their hospitality.

We now have to confront the most difficult moment of leaving this country and the good friends behind. We will miss Deutschland.

------

Our most memorable trip: Bonn (no, it wasn't Cologne, Munich, Münster, Paris, Salzburg, Trier, or Vienna)

Our most embarrassing moments: showing up two days early on the train ride to Paris, and showing up a year late at the Spargelfest in Schwetzingen.

Our most memorable meals: Canard at Le Procope in Paris, Italian dishes at Umberto Primo in Karlsruhe, Spargel and apfelstrudel at Kaffeehaus in Schwetzingen.

No comments: