Friday, April 03, 2009

Fischwoche (fish week) and Easter

This was the last full work week before Easter, and the cafeteria had a Fischwoche ("Fish Week") at one of the three food lines. The response had been underwhelming as the lab employees flocked over to the higher fat options at the other two lines (such as currywurst - sausage with fries and curry gravy all over). The worst response was on Wednesday when grilled rainbow trout was offered at the fish line. After seven months at the lab, I notice that the lengths of the queues are directly proportional to the fat content of the dishes being served at the food line, and I find myself either at the shortest line or the salad bar most of the time.

Speaking of Easter and fatty food...

I walked past a butcher's shop and saw some Easter eggs on display. Thinking that I will buy some for the kids, I took a closer look. They are not eggs with dyed shells or egg-shaped chocolate wrapped in colorful foil. The label on the outer container reads "6 leckere Osterwürste"...yes, 6 delicious Easter sausages. The sausage selections (in the ingredients and shapes) here continue to amaze me.

No comments: