Wednesday, January 07, 2009

USPS - USeless Postal Service

This shows the status of Gabriel's and Jocelyn's application package for re-enrolling at our neighborhood school in the next school year. It was sent by registered mail from a post office in Karlsruhe, Germany on December 15, and arrived in New York the very next day according to the US Postal Service record on the web (Deutsche Post is not known for its efficiency). Then it took 11 days to get to a post office in Oakland, which is less than 5 km away from the Oakland Unified School District's placement office, and it has been stuck there since.

I called a phone number that I found on the USPS website. Apparently, the post office is waiting for OUSD to go and sign for it, and I couldn't convince the service representative to arrange for a delivery. Doesn't USPS deliver any more? The application deadline is January 15.

Fortunately I took the effort to have the application digitally scanned before posting. I actually sent an electronic copy to the placement office the day I mailed the package. I contacted the office again and explained this situation. It is unlikely that OUSD will send someone to the post office to pick up the package, but it will print out our electronic submission in lieu of the originals. Thank you, Mr. B.!

No comments: